stafman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOromocto Watershed

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

G'day. 

I've spent very little time targeting Atlantic salmon and even less time figuring out their behavior, but I desperately want to hook one, and I've just picked up a work client in Miramichi that I'll be travelling to see every few weeks, giving me an opportunity to be near some prime salmon fishing opportunities. 

First of all, at this time of year are there salmon to be caught in the main southwest? If not, where are they? (looking for a large-scale answer not looking for a specific hole). How do the runs work? I know very little, and I want to know everything ;) NWbassman I think I'm a lot like you in your early youth...I just gotta know every detail I can lol. 

Secondly, I do a lot of bass fishing and typically strip my line aggressively to induce takes. This tactic is fantastic for bass and aggressive trout but I'm not sure if this is a successful technique for catching salmon. How do you hook your salmon? On the swing? Drift a bit then strip? How fast do you strip? 

I'm hoping to find some viable spots along Route 8, and I've already explored some of the more public ones, but I'd be very appreciative of any help in understanding salmon fishing and knowing where to target them and when. 

I want to keep this discussion as general and open as possible but would also encourage direct messages be sent if you want to keep the discussion more private, or if you REALLY want to tell me where you caught that 5 pound sea trout, I could live with that  :D  :D

Cheers

The water is my church. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salmon fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users