Redington beginner fly outfit - Crosswater Combo - General Fishing Questions - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Redington beginner fly outfit - Crosswater Combo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TightLines

TightLines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Pulled the trigger on a beginner fly outfit from the Redington website, called "Crosswater Combo" 8wt 9ft 4pcs...

I'm in the Moncton area and went to see Bryant from Eskape Anglers, unfortunately he doesn't sell rods or reels anymore but  found him still listed as a dealer on the Redington website. I didn't have the heart to spend my money at Bass Pro as I was not too impressed with what the "professional" recommended (Fenwick Nighthawk) which did not have solid reviews.

Anyone have experience with the Redington Crosswater combo? i'm interested to hear if I bought a "lemon"...

All comments are welcome... My combo arrives on Friday. :)

#2 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

I bought a low end ($100) Redington rod (used to be called something else before rebranding to Crosswater) a few years back as a kind of back-up/loaner rod.  It was a 7.5' 3wt, and I bought it from Bryant when he was still a dealer.  Well, its been my 'go to' rod for small streams ever since.  I've landed 19" bass and 19" brookies with it, and it performed flawlessly.  Not sure that helps you with your 8wt, but I wouldn't have any reservations with recommending the Crosswater as a first fly rod.  I know nothing about the quality of the reels that come in the Redington kits, but since they're mostly for line storage, I wouldn't worry too much, so long as the drag system works somewhat smoothly.  I landed a salmon on the weekend using a 60+ year old Young Beaudex reel that has virtually no drag, 

Truth be told, the fish can't see the stickers on your equipment; they see only the fly and a bit of leader.   You can spend $1000 for a rod and $500 for a reel, and the guys in the parking lot will be impressed as hell.  But the fish don't really give a rodent's rump.  They mostly respond to patience, humility and skill.  A lot of fish have been caught on the Miramichi over the years, using department store tackle.

Short answer:  It'll be fine.

brent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users