Open boat launches on Miramichi? - General Fishing Questions - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Open boat launches on Miramichi?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Forkstreamer

Forkstreamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

I was wondering if Ritchie wharf was open, or if anyone was on the river with boats yet.

#2 Forkstreamer

Forkstreamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

I was looking to find out if it was possible to fish with my boat on Tuesday. If any boat launches are open and not iced in and it its safe on the river no major ice flows. I'm in Moncton.

#3 troutchaser

troutchaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

Lots of Ice still around and lots of big chunks of ice on the move seems real dangerous

#4 Forkstreamer

Forkstreamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Thanks troutchaser I just got back from Miramichi now. Southwest has no ice coming down only from the Northwest. Rithchie wharf is unsutable to launch boats will be from the looks of things a week. The Northwest Miramichi is full of ice. I don't think Strawberry marsh is fishable the way it was today.

#5 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Red Bank wharf is open. Ice went out today but still the odd iceberg floating down river

#6 Forkstreamer

Forkstreamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

Thank you NWbassman. I wish you a good season.

#7 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

Your welcome and same to you forkstreamer

#8 Ace

Ace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

We went out yesterday 4 boats in total water is extremely high and fast and dirty almost un-fisheable.  Did not see any fish.

#9 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

Ace on Wednesday eve the water on the northwest looks like it dropped about a foot or more and the clarity was improving as well. That will definitely change overnight tonight because of two things. The first is that with today’s really warm temps of 24C in Miramichi there will be lots of snow and ice melting upriver. Whenever we have lots of snow in the winter with some rather large storms towards end of winter then a cool spring like we did this year we end up with lots of snow and ice upriver that hasn’t really had a chance of to melt. All this snow and ice then melts rapidly when we get really warm temps all of a sudden which results in the river level rising quite a bit in less than 24 hours. Secondly the weather forecast for miramichi was calling for 10 to 20 mms of rain over night. So these two things will most likely have the river rising between one and two feet over night. That one to two feet rise in water levels will be in the Red Bank area as the river is much shallower and narrower than in miramichi. Because of this the raise in water levels will be much less noticeable in Miramichi. The water will most likely get dirty again and the raise in water levels will probably carry some icebergs down river that were left along rhe shorelines when the ice jam went through last week
The striper fishing in Miramichi picked up this afternoon and this eve during outgoing tide to low tide That with the warm temps turned the bite on. From what I’ve heard quite a few fish were caught this afternoon/eve in the loggieville area and Chatham. Fish were also caught in Chatham head by the Morrisey bridge. Usually stripers bite much better in low light to no light conditions such as late afternoon, eve and after dark because they are light sensitive which in turn affects when they feed the heaviest For about the first two weeks after the ice runs the water in the river is stained enough that you can catch stripers pretty well all day even when it’s bright and sunny with no cloud cover. This can even happen toward the end of May and in June when the water levels are usually getting low and really clear but then we get really heavy rains causing the river level to rise two feet or more and becomes brown and dirty When this happens get out on the water as soon as rhe river level begins to drop as there is always GREAT fishing to be had. Over the past few years some of my best fishing has taken place after periods heavy rain and high water. Often very few fisherman are out on the river fishing during periods of high dirty water that is beginning to drop because most fisherman dont think that it’s worh it to even bother going out-they couldn’t be more wrong!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users