How many lines on the Saint John river - General Fishing Questions - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

How many lines on the Saint John river

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

I'm looking for info but I am having a hard time to find the answer. How many lines are you aloud to have in the water at one time on the Saint John river system. More specific the kenebecasis river for sturgeon, and is it single barbless hooks even while using worms.

#2 flyfishing90

flyfishing90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

On the East coast of New Brunswick, when fishing in tidal water, I can fish up to 5 rods at the same time when fishing for striped bass.

For inland water, I found the rule in the NB fishing booklet: ''No person shall angle with more than one fishing line to which more than three hooks are attached''.

It will depends if you fish in tidal or non tidal waters

#3 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Diaperman, if you are referring to the area known locally as "Sturgeon Alley", that is a tidal area and you are allowed up to 5 rods. Typically, the lads will fish one or two rods at a time for sturgeon while on kayaks, one in each hand, and pay close attention for the slightest nibble. Though they are a big fish, they are very subtle when they bite. Barbless hooks are not necessary for sturgeon, and the lads typically have two hooks on each line spaced about 4 feet apart, with about a 1 oz weight on the  bottom of the line, roughly two feet below the bottom hook. A couple of night crawlers on each hook works well, but try to cover as much of the hook as possible, because if the sturgeon feels any of the hook, he'll move on and not take the bait, or so it seems.

#4 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I had two rods yesterday with barbed hooks and started questioning myself. Atoqwa'su as for the weight I usually use a 3-4 oz on a sliding swivel. I find the current is too strong sometimes. I may have to go again while I'm waiting for the miramichi to open up.

#5 Matt Myers

Matt Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Diaperman-Check out the 2018 NB Fishing Regulations. It states that Sturgeon "May only be angled by artificial fly or baited barbless hook with a single point".

The boys are right, the Maritime Provinces Fisheries Regulations state:

Section 11.2 No person shall angle in tidal waters for any species of fish other than sport fish
a. with more than five fishing lines; or
b. with a fishing line to which more than six hooks are attached.

Given the variation between the two Acts involving the hooks, I would only use a single barbless hook, but could use up to 5 rods in tidal waters.

#6 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Tks Matt. I saw that regulation to about the fly or single barbless hooks, that's what made me question the type of hook. I just wanted to make sure I was following the rules.

#7 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Barbless hooks for sturgeon, eh? It's been so long since I've fished for them that I don't remember. Good to know if I go again.

#8 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

Atoqwa'su I was surprised to. Sometimes it hard to keep up with the changing regulations. That's what makes the forum such a helpful source of information. Hats off to all its members

#9 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

That part posted by Matt in the NB fishing regulations book is a new variation order by DFO, new this season.

That's why it differs from the Maritime Fisheries Regulation.

NO wonder folks get confused. HOwever, the variation order always takes precedence.

#10 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

Tks lobsterman that makes things a little clearer. Can you tell me if you are still aloud 5 lines.

#11 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

The variation order doesn't mention the number of lines so if you were allowed five lines before then you are still allowed five lines. Here is the actual order:

The Regional Director-General, Maritimes Region, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, hereby makes the annexed Order MAR-VAR-2017-120, so that no person shall:

• angle for sturgeon in the inland and tidal waters of New Brunswick that flow into the Bay of Fundy by any method other than artificial fly and baited, barbless hook with a single point;

• angle for any species of fish in the tidal waters of the Kennebecasis River and Hammond River (Sturgeon Alley) upstream from a straight line drawn across the Kennebecasis River estuary from grid reference 269700 5040100 on Perry’s Point on the west side of that river to grid reference 270300 5039600 on the east side of that river (refer to map Loch Lomond 21 H/5, Edition 4, National Topographic Series Map, Scale 1:50,000 published by the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources) from September 16 in any year until April 14 the next year (both dates included) by any method other than artificial fly and baited, barbless hook with a single point; or

• catch and retain or possess any sturgeon that is less than 130 cm in length measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

Note: When the boundary of an area is expressed in grid references, those grid references are based on the Universal Transverse Mercator Grid system set out on the National Topographic Series Map, Scale 1:50,000 published by the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources (North American Datum 1927).

This Order shall come into force on the date of signature and remains in force until further notice, unless otherwise revoked, at which time the close times and size limit shall revert to that set out in said Regulations.

#12 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

Now that's clear. Lol. Lobsterman thank you, that's perfect. It's nice not to have to guess about the regulations

#13 sealdaddy

sealdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, NB

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

So, that means we can you up to 5 lines, or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users