10 replies to this topic

#1 Striperbabs

Striperbabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCocagne nb

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. People say stripers only spawn in the miramichi .I just started striper fishing last year, I have not yet experienced the miramichi. But I seen with my own eye what i beleive to be stripers spawning in the cocagne river, and an old fella said they spawned in the bouctouche river as well. I haven't put a line in the water yet but I believe there are stripers here already

#2 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

According to DFO " The only annually predictable spawning location that has produced recruitment annually in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence is the Northwest Miramichi River (NW)" http://www.dfo-mpo.g...018_016-eng.pdf

My understanding is that striper spawning activity is being observed in other locations but young of the year striped bass are only found in the NW Miramichi (in any numbers). Why spawning isn't successful (or the young can't be found) in other locations is a mystery to me. 

#3 Striperbabs

Striperbabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCocagne nb

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

With that being said , they are here now ? And spend the winter here ? And do not come here after leaving the miramichi ?

#4 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

With that being said , they are here now ? And spend the winter here ? And do not come here after leaving the miramichi ?

Maybe? Who knows? They could probably travel between the two rivers in a couple of days or less if they wanted to. 

#5 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

There are stripers spawning in many different rivers in NB The thing DFO says is that rhe Northwest Miramichi is the only place where stripers are spawning successfully. Even in a river with ideal spawning conditions only a small fraction of the huge amount of eggs laid by each female will survive Striped bass eggs float with the current after being laid and fertilized and will hatch 2-3 days later The eggs need require a certain amount of current to prevent the eggs from sinking to the bottom of the river. If this happens they often become covered in silt/dirt which will prevent from hatching Also the eggs need the river water to stay relatively close to the 55-65 degrees F which triggered the spawning activity because if rhe water temps are outside of the spawning range the eggs will sink and die There are many things that need to align for the eggs to hatch successfully such as river flow , water temps, pollution, water salinity, water ph etc.. Then if rhe eggs do hatch successfully the larvae require an abundant supply of zooplankton to feed on for the first 35-50 days before the larvae undergo a change into their juvenile form which is now recognizable as a striped bass
I find it hard to believe that the NW miramichi has rhe only population of stripers that are spawning successfully in NB. Spawning activity is triggered by water temps. So if rivers in southern NB or even south of the NW miramichi reach ideal spawning temps and stripers are observed spawning I find it hard to believe that these same bass then swim to the next river to spawn and so one before spawning in the miramichi. Large populations of stripers are being observed in many different rivers in the province at the same time, rhe large populations are made up of different age classes of fish and stripers are observed spawning in other rivers close to the same time so how can these be all the same bass

#6 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Also, don't mistake a bunch of bass in an area in August thrashing on top of the water by the thousands after dark for them spawning. They are merely stunning baitfish and then feeding on them. When they spawn, there will be one large female with a bunch of smaller males all around her, poking her everywhere to get her to drop her eggs. If you saw the latter happening, then they are indeed spawning, but like NWbassman said, they may not be spawning successfully.

#7 Striperbabs

Striperbabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCocagne nb

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:20 PM

Thank you very much nwbassman . that was a great explantion .I was confused but now I understand much better. Thank you. atoqwa'su this was mid may early june , not sure exacly. i caught about 40 fish between 12 and 16 inches in this one hole i fished . in about a week and a half of fishing evenings. one night igot there the water boiling with fish , figured this gona a great night fishing. NO. throw and throw the same lure i had caught the 40 fish with and nothing . so thats what i assumed to be spawning activity

#8 Striper Sniper

Striper Sniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

You should checkout some striped bass spawning videos. This one is good: 

#9 Flytosser

Flytosser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

All predatory gamefish have bouts of tunnel vision where a certain food source is targeted and abundant. Those are the nights where you have every lure in existance except the one buddy next to you has and though you both are casting in the same school, he's reelin em in and you're pretending its funny that you keep comin up snake eyes and that you're 'just happy to get fresh air.'

I dont pretend to know mutch but, if we know that the estimated spawning population of 2 milion or more that come to miramichi is also the estimated overall spawning population for the entire Gulf of St Lawrence and, if they were spawning already in other rivers, why then are they coming to miramichi in may only to leave again to spend the summer elsewhere along the coast and in other estuaries? The Gulf is a tiny place for an ocean fish, it totally within reason that they might only spawn in Miramichi. Its a phenomenon replicated in many other places with many other animals.

#10 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Sorry I didnt answer all of your questions Striperbabs. Yes the stripers were probably there already where you were fishing towards the end of April. A lot of people think stripers spend the winter in salt water then come to fresh water in the spring to spawn. Actually the stripers spend the winter under the ice in freshwater rivers such as rhe miramicni. In the miramichi they stay close to the bottom in the deep sections of water in and around the city of miramichi. The reason being the fresh water is a degree or two warmer during the winter than the salt water is as salt water has a lower freezing temp than fresh water does. During the winter the water along rhe bottom of the miramichi is almost 1 degree C while the salt water along the coast can be below 0 degrees C.
As for stripers going to other rivers after spawning in the Miramichi-I find it highly unlikely as the reason the majority of the stripers leave the miramichi after spawning is that the water temp is starting to get pretty warm by mid to end of June and the stripers are seeking the cooler water along the coast in the salt water. Rivers south of the miramichi would most certainly be warmer than the Chi is at this same time of year. The reason I said the majority of rhe stripers is that there are some that stay in the red bank area all summer as well as some deeper cool water pools even further upriver all summer. The same as the main Southwest but these are mostly smaller stripers
All this being said I‚??m not a biologist or expert but this is just my opinion and what I have learned over the years from countless hours spent on rhe water learning about stripers. Stripers are just like any other fish-just when we think we got them figured out they do something different lol.
Just because on hook or lure catches striper after striper one doesn‚??t mean it will be good rhe next day. Sometimes you need to change to a totally diff lure or color Other days u might just need to use a smaller or larger version of the same lure that worked very well rhe day before. Have a variety of swimbaits, lures etc in diff colours and sizes and if you aren‚??t getting bites change what you are using. Although I prefer rhe savage gear sand eel and have so much faith in it that I use it 95% of the time if it isn‚??t catching fish I will change to something else very quickly

#11 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

And striperbabs you certainly should experience the miramichi and the incredible striper fishing it has to offer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users