what do fish look like on fish finders - General Fishing Questions - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

what do fish look like on fish finders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seabass

Seabass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

I am looking at fish finders that have down imaging and side view scanning.  Looking at the demo screens I don't see obvious fish. What should I be looking for on the screen. Need to know if I can find actual fish with a fish finder before I spend that kind of money. I am old and technically challenged but want to fish over fish not empty water don't have that much time left for tight lines.

#2 J. Branscombe

J. Branscombe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

I have a eagle  that shows the fish and show 3 different sizes of fish  so you know roughly the size range 

#3 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

My cheap Garmin 103C shows fish symbols, small medium and large. They are like little drawings of fish, depending on the size. Many units will show an upside-down V instead of a symbol of a fish. Something like this but bigger and wider, with less pronounced angle:  ^

Any other fish finder I have seen has been similar except the really pricey ones which show actual fish images.

PS I have better luck using them to find structure underwater that is likely to have fish hanging round than I do fishing for the actual fish on the screen. Maybe it's just me, but that's been my experience.

#4 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

Lobsterman. Its not just you.  Gotta agree on your last statement.  I have a pretty inexpensive Humminbird that shows three sizes of fish and differentiates between those directly below the boat and those to the side (but not WHICH side).  Mostly, I'm using my device to a) avoid going too shallow, and B) to find fish-holding structure. 

On occasion, while trolling in deeper water, I'll see a larger fish on the finder as I pass over it, and if the boat doesn't spook it and he's in a taking mood and I've chosen the right lure or fly, I'll get a hook-up about the time the lure is passing over where my boat was when the fish showed.  but who knows if it is the same fish?

brent

#5 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

LOL this exactly mirrors my experience.

There is a remarkable part of Long Lake for example (the Long Lake near Plaster Rock) where the suddenly, within a very few feet, the water depth goes from more than 100 feet to about 1 to two feet - waaaaaay out in the middle of the huge lake! One minute your zipping along at full throttle without a care in the world, the next second your fishfinder is beeping its "low water" warning like crazy. My fishfinder has paid for itself a few times by saving me from ripping off my lower unit LOL!

As for trying to catch the fish spotted by the fishfinder, yes I will sometimes get one of them on the line but it's more luck than anything else, as you have duly noted. I have far better luck using the device for finding the submerged rocks, stumps, ledges, etc... and fishing those spots.

Even a cheap fishfinder can easily show where those spots are.

#6 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

I'm using a lowrance 4x. Individual fish show up as an upside down boomerang. Theres various sizes of that so you know if its 1 big fish or 2 close together or sometimes it's a small arc where it could be an individual fish. I also see schools of bait fish on mine but it looks like a cloud of pixels then usually down below that there's an arc or 2 following which represents game fish chasing bait fish. Anyway when buying a sonar/finder, water temp and boat speed are always nice and has helped me calculate what I need to be doing for that day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users