Let's get Striped Bass sport fish status! - Page 2 - Striped Bass Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Let's get Striped Bass sport fish status!

striped bass

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Striped Bass Sport Fish Status (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Striped Bass Receive Sport Fish Status?

1. Yes (49 votes [68.06%])

Percentage of vote: 68.06%

2. No (19 votes [26.39%])

Percentage of vote: 26.39%

3. Not sure (4 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Trouter

Trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yes but if people don't start letting those big ones go there will be nothing left that's for sure. From what I see not many People are letting them go there keeping them almost all of them!

#22 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

I don't know why people think that the stripers in the Saint John river are becoming extinct or endangered. The fish that enter the river are old, smart and very difficult to catch but there are lots of them here. This year was my best ever for stripers in the Saint John river. I have landed 30 fish so far with an average length of 40". I have also caught 3 this year over 40 pounds.
The fish are there you just have to out smart them and puts lots of time in on the water.

i dont suppose you would care to share some of your knowledge on outsmarting these fish???

#23 Trouter

Trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Live eels seem to be one of the better baits for the Saint John also trolling 10 inch jakes has produced

#24 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

I Fish, I have spent many seasons, 1000s of hours and many $ on gas and gear to figure out the things that I do know about these fish. All I can tell you is, don't get discouraged. Spend lots of time on the water and try new spots when you go out. I caught the biggest striper of my life last week in a spot where I have never fished before. If you catch a fish there is a very good chance that there are more there and that they use that spot often. If you find a spot with fish try it multiple times a day. Stripers don't feed all day and some days you only get a short window for a hook up. I like to pick 3 or 4 spots for the day and hit them each multiple times.

#25 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yes but if people don't start letting those big ones go there will be nothing left that's for sure. From what I see not many People are letting them go there keeping them almost all of them!

#26 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

I do agree with you that the bigger fish should be released so they can pass on their good genetics. I think that most people that keep the big ones don't catch very many stripers.
I very rarely catch one under 35" so I am curious what people think a big one is. I don't see anything wrong with keeping a couple a season around the 36" size. I release 95% of the stripers that I do catch.
One other thing people need to consider is the proper release of the fish. Fairly often a striper will not swim of immediately when trying to release it. I try to educate people that they need to hold the fish by the tail, point her into the current and wait until she has enough energy to swim off. When you see the gill plates start moving in unison she is almost ready. Wait to feel a lot of power in the tail and then a she is ready.

I made a video of this last week and would like to post it on here but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm on my iphone so maybe I need to go on the computer?

#27 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Those are some great looking fish you have posted in the gallery. Eagerly awaiting your video. Great to see most being released and good tip on the release procedure.

#28 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Casey
I tried to upload the video but just got an error message

#29 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Jeff, Under "forums, site stuff" is a post from Dave, called "video tutorials" if u r still interested in trying to post the video.

#30 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Didn't see anything there about posting videos. I think you do it the same as if you were going to post a picture. I think the error message I am getting is due to a file size constraint. The video is only 90 seconds long but I think the file size is still too big.

#31 bourne2fsh7

bourne2fsh7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

I'm originally from the states, and striped bass fishing is almost a religious experience there. If only New Brunswick realizes what they have here. It's a world class fishery for stripers. The money will come pouring in from the south for this action. Musky fishing is also becoming a world class fishery in the Saint John. The money that comes across the border can be used to improve the chance of your beloved salmon surviving.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: striped bass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users