Let's get Striped Bass sport fish status! - Striped Bass Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Let's get Striped Bass sport fish status!

striped bass

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Striped Bass Sport Fish Status (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Striped Bass Receive Sport Fish Status?

1. Yes (49 votes [68.06%])

Percentage of vote: 68.06%

2. No (19 votes [26.39%])

Percentage of vote: 26.39%

3. Not sure (4 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dave

dave

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Personally I think it's about time that our Striped Bass receive sport fish status. This would have many benefits, including added protection of this incredible species.

Please take a moment to vote on the attached poll and feel free to weigh in on this topic by posting a message.

Additionally, here is a link to the latest Maritime Outdoorsman Podcast episode which is focused on Striped Bass

Thanks,

-dave
Site Founder, Web Developer/Entrepreneur, and work from home Dad.
Listen to The Maritime Outdoorsman Podcast Show
Learn more about me at www.DaveDoggett.com

#2 WannabeWaterman

WannabeWaterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi Dave, I'm all for striped bass getting game/sport fish status. I also think there should be a season for stripers in the Miramichi system, too.

Along the east cost of the US, it's one of the most popular species fished for, and most likely the most popular saltwater species in the NE USA. I've been loosely following along with the crew at StripersForever (google it) as they battle for gamefish status in some states.

Here in NB we are particularly blessed with potential world-class fishing for so many species of fish, but any attempts to unify all anglers so often degrades into a salmon/trout vs. bass/muskie, fly fishermen vs. gear fishermen, etc, etc, when everyone should be focusing on habitat protection for all fish & the economic benefits the province receives from ALL angling.

#3 Moodus

Moodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Theres already a 2 bag limit and part of the Mirimichi is already catch and release for a good part of the year, what else would be done if they were considered a sport fish? Personally I think they waste most of our money, they do not keep up any boat ramps and the game wardens fine you for anything they can, and what really annoys me is that they are still stalking trout in Lilly and Fisher lakes? Then they hold a tournament there, trout dont live long, and they are not healthy in those lakes but yet they still stalk them there just for show purposes, also alot of these trouts are genetically weak. All the while Irving is clear cutting everywhere you look now, If they want to help fish they should be putting a limit on where Irving can deforest. Stalking small fry and yearling trout has been proven to not work, they need to release adult trout, less then 10% of stalked trout make it to adult hood. the mercury in our water kills them before they are big enough to withstand it, this was proven 8 years ago but yet they still waste our money stalking these little fry. I dont know, I think they help with the salmon but when it comes to other sports fish they just put on a dog n pony show.

What would having Stripped Bass as a sport fish bring to the table?
A reel expert can tackle anything.

#4 dave

dave

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Essentially, an added level of protection for the species overall. One example would be that any sport fish that is foul hooked, is not permitted to be retained.
Site Founder, Web Developer/Entrepreneur, and work from home Dad.
Listen to The Maritime Outdoorsman Podcast Show
Learn more about me at www.DaveDoggett.com

#5 appleman

appleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Moodus, Could you clarify where it is open to fish and where there is a 2 bag limit? Because I have been looking for this information, and from what I gather, its still closed. CNR of striped bass is at a Game Warden level...Basically if they want you to stop they can stop you...but most of the time they don't bother you unless you have killed a fish.

#6 fisher

fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Im from the Miramichi area and its still closed, unfortunately you can fish other species like smelts and release the by catch (Bass) but their is no official sea bass fishery in the gulf of saint laurence area. unfortunately the miramichi river and bays in the area are poluted with bass and nobody is allowed to take any home. its time for the federal goverment to reopen the fishery. Friends of mine in the Lameque Miscou area are reporting the same tons of Bass.

#7 fisher

fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

if regulated it would have to be by the federal goverment as the province doesn't have jurisdiction in tidal waters, I think that's why the province doesn't have any interest in sea Bass.

#8 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationsaint John, N.B.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

where open in nb the limit on stripers is just 1 fish, limit and possesion.

in therory placing them in with sport fish would help...but since they don`t all get the same help, in reallity, there would be no improvement at all. letting the province run any fish has not been a good thing for the species. placing them on the federal sport fishing list (which i think only includes salmon) again would not help at all - when was the last time you were allowed to fish for atlantic salmon on the sj river....like i said, no noticable help there. so this gets a very loud no from me. imo. i wish it was different.
Who ever has the most fishin' gear when they die wins!

#9 fisher

fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Bass fishing is open in the bay of fundy but not in the Gulf of saint Laurence I'm not sure if creating a sport fishery is the way to go but they should look at reopening it in the Gulf. It was closed in our area 10 or 15 years ago and never reopened, Bass numbers are high Just talk to an eel or gaspereau comercial fisherman and they will tell you the nets are full.
I dont think DFO has the will or money to enforce and or regulate a bass fishery unless they can get some money in licensing fees, or they might be more interested in reopening it.
I agree that licensing is a waste of money but it might get the lead out of DFO's A$% on the issue of a verry viable fishery.

#10 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

i just had a chance to listen to the podcast. i didn`t always agree of course, but it was certainly an interesting listen. i still don`t see how making them sport fish would help them much. i would like to see sturgeon on the sport fishing list first. i actualy have no idea why neither is on the list, one was the first fish with laws restricting what you can do with it, and the other was the crowns fish - stripers were made illegal to use for fertilizer as the first fisheries law in north america, and you were supposed to offer any sturgeon to the crown (King/Queen) first.

in the podcast one of the interesting items was you used the exact opposite reasons to show the stripers were in trouble in shube as dfo is using to say stripers are still in trouble in the gulf coast. this shows how far appart our understanding of them can be as much as two very different outlooks. i find it a little funny that i don`t completely agree with either. but i do agree with some of both. i believe you are right in thinking no small schoolies means the striper numbers are going to crash in shubie, but i disagree that this is going to be a huge crash. it`s just the way stripers work to some degree, and a side effect of the rebound in numbers. the thing a lot of people miss in the equation is stripers eat stripers. one of the better crank bait patterns is baby striper. so when the big year class starts dominating the lake, both from their size and shear numbers, the lake gets to be a dangerous place to be a small fish, even for little stripers. at the same time, the number of spawners has gone to the best ever, so there will be more little ones tring to sneak by. this will yo-yo for a while before it settles out. normally predation will even things out eventually over time, now instead the fishers will do the same, with a little more boom and bust. the number of fishers will max out with lots of the best fishing of their lives, then as the number of big stripers drops so will the number fishing, hopefully in responce to fewer big linesides chasing them more of the baby stripers will have a chance to make it through a few winters and begin working their way up to being the next big stripers. next the remaining stripers of this big class will get to very big stripers, again drawing numbers of fishers. this is the stage Maines stripers seem to be in now, so i agree with your last guest in thinking the shubie stripers will do well in the end. the shubie has the best numbers in memory, with a very healthy fishery and this year class is not to be missed. it has actually coinsided with a similar year class, just a couple years ahead, from chesapeak that come to the sj, bringing our percentage of big stripers way way way up.

just joking, but maybe we should set up some exchange schoolies with the miramichi stripers...lol!

speaking of funny, i thought it was quite funny that you and a guest thought the people using reddevils were trying to jig with them. in small part, because nobody actualy mentioned seeing some one jig one with them, but mostly because it`s a lure i have no luck with at all...and i get teased about it! lol, it`s a great lure, or so i`ve been told many times. it works well, for other people however i just can`t catch anything on it. just because some one is using a lure that isn`t very good at catching that fish doesn`t always mean they aren`t trying to do it right. i saw a guy look over to me after landing a big striper and sort of shake his head, then cast his big spoon out. i asked how he was doing and he said it was his third year striper fishing and still nothing - what was worse, his neighbor was kidding him about it. i hooked up and released the next fish, his eyes just bugged out, so when i noticed i had to retie, i asked him if he wanted to try one of my lures. he didn`t want to take it, but as i tied mine back on, i showed him they came 4 to a pack ( and at that time i used to take a duffel bag of striper gear with me...), finnaly convinced him to try it. i tied it on for him, showing him the knot, and had just gotten back to my spot when he cried out "fish on!" i was pleased he caught one but nowhere near as much as he was - his grin was a mile wide. he wanted to give me back the lure, now that he had caught one, but i told him it was his untill the river or the stripers took it. he landed another striper that morning, and i have talked to him several times over the years, i think it was 68 stripers landed so far on that same storm swimbait (i lose them after a few nights at best). maybe those guys were just fishing with the closest thing they had to striper lures.

i have never foul hooked a striper with a storm swim bait. that`s never in about 600 stripers landed on swim baits and was a bit amazed that the guest had. yet they were trying to eat it - stripers come up with new ways to feed all the time, always something different. (i have foul hooked gasperaux and herring striper fishing with swimbaits, and i have occasionaly foul hooked with other lures) i have had stripers twist it up on there lip, so if you didn`t know you would think it was from the outside, but he would have noticed this i think when he had to poke it out through it`s mouth. i`m still amazed he foul hooked 3 with a storm, maybe he was using one of the really big storms, 9" i think? they do have a tendancy to mug those ones, beating them up on the way in. they also have a tendancy to get it stuck in their mouths, for some reason it`s draws attacks from small stripers.

i agree both provinces don`t promote striper fishing enough. with all the cut backs, maybe some one should point out that billion dollars to them. then do it again and again untill they finnaly get it.

again, interesting podcast on stripers, my favorite part was the conversations with the guests.

#11 Noelco

Noelco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

One of the problems with stripers being abundant, is the same i see for all species...certain types of people abuse them. I have seen them stuffed into backpacks, coolers etc..and taking home every one they catch no matter the size. I realize those that post on here may not do the below, but believe me, i have seen it lots of times.
.I don't see how classing them as a sport fish would be a benifit..then the feds would be sticking their noses into the mix...and we all know how that goes. I like the regulations that are in place now. In todays world there are cell phones..everytime I see someone abusing the regulations, I get thier license and call it in. Call me what you want but, I am over 50 and am sick and tired of people fishing without a license, keeping over the limit, throwing dead fish and bleeding fish back after they have caught their limit, fishing non opened water, using boats with wrong motors or when no boats allowed etc..etc.. We responsible anglers need to do a lot of the policing ourselves.
My biggest worry is that if I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I SAID I paid for it.

#12 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think Noelco is dead on! I have seen the same in my area. I also have called and reported. But the DNR and the DFO are so short staffed and under funded that they can"t be everywhere all the time. But when they catch smoeone doing doing something against the rules, make some examples, seize vehicles, very large fines, seize fishing stuff. Maybe then it would make a difference. Sad to say that most people only learn the hard way. And if most know they can get away it, they will.

It seems that in my area, the people have this idea of " I'm goona take what I want when I want!" Because the other guy is doing the same thing! Just like a horse with blinders on, tunel vision if you like. I want right now and never mind later!

Wors, many of these people sell these fish! Blayanly in the parking lot of a major store. No one got arrested! Everybody knows. Until there is something done, this will not solve the problem! If most people keep turning a blind eye, nothing is going to get any better!

Not so long ago, I was fishing and the guy next to says" Well! One person,with a fishing pole can't distroy a species of fish!" I said well then I have seen one person, with at lest 100 bass in buckets and on the ground. If that person does that every day, that's 700 fish a week, in a year that adds up. And if 100 people do that all over the place well that can decimate a species.

Sorry for ranting and raving, but we need to get together and try and do something!Maybe try and the government to stop padding the pensions and start putting some money into DNR and DFO, and all the palces they cut.

#13 yakbud

yakbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSaint John NB

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hey ipop have you ever fished the little river from the bay up to silver falls ?
"Many men go fishing all there lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"

#14 ipop

ipop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

yakbub check your messinger, i sent you back a pm, and yes i have. no stripers there that i have caught, but mostly i tried from they kayak out in the bay off from the outlet, with no luck. that was a number of years ago, so you never know...

#15 Robin coggan

Robin coggan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

I was up to Fred all day yesterday I had a really nice striper on I was reeling it in then WHF my Handle borke on my reel I had her in to the boat and then it ran and then my line snapped (FML) i someone gets a striper with a huge pink bomber lure in it

#16 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

... a stripper with a huge pink bomber lure in it

Well, this is hardly the place to discuss THAT sort of thing... :D

#17 Robin coggan

Robin coggan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Lol striper bass dam auto correct

#18 MackTrev

MackTrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

I believe I heard somewhere that the value of the striped bass fishery in the US was in the range of 1.5B or so... that makes a pretty good case for it being declared a sport fish species, and if there is a season, wouldn't that reinforce that statement??

#19 delete

delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

They won't make striped bass a sportfish in the US because there is too many commercial fishing interests involved.  They are fighting for it too because it makes no sense money wise to have the stocks depleted through commercial fishing.  However, it is difficult politically to take away someone's livelihood.

Stripers should be a sportfish absolutely, but with the current debacle in Miramichi and the supposed extirpation of stripers in the Saint John River system (although they found stripers with unknown origins in the river!) they will probably never be.  

#20 jeffpro123

jeffpro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't know why people think that the stripers in the Saint John river are becoming extinct or endangered. The fish that enter the river are old, smart and very difficult to catch but there are lots of them here. This year was my best ever for stripers in the Saint John river. I have landed 30 fish so far with an average length of 40". I have also caught 3 this year over 40 pounds.
The fish are there you just have to out smart them and puts lots of time in on the water.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: striped bass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users