2017 is my first season fly fishing - Page 2 - Fly Fishing - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

2017 is my first season fly fishing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 traffic_charlie

traffic_charlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

I've mostly been using bigger streamers and wooly bugger to try to get down to the fish and having never cast anything smaller it didn't really occur to me that they were harder to cast! I've been watching Orvis' 'How to Fly Fish' series online. It looks like useful information but they make everything look so easy! 

Pleased its not just me then! I was starting to think there weren't any fish in the river!

#22 Flyfisherwomyn

Flyfisherwomyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

I finally got into some good trout yesterday afternoon woohoo! Top water action with my trusty old Tom Thumb. Much to my delight it was all trout,no bass,no chub just trout. I'm in heaven!

The fly pattern is in my pic album from a post in 2013 if interested.

Charlie...your right the videos make it look so easy...once you have it figured out it becomes natural,play around with what feels good. Most rivers have treed banks so try side arm, try to keep the fly from hitting the water while false casting so as not to spook the fish. Best of luck and keep at it!

#23 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

I guided a gentleman on Monday and Tuesday who hammered the stripers with fly fishing gear. Anchored in one spot for a little over two hours and only had one cast where he didn't have a strike and only five casts where he didn't land a bass. Also landed four or five over 30 inches with the largest going 35 inches which was a great fight on a fly rod. There were lots of fisherman in boats in the area and people fishing from shore and everyone but us was using spinning gear and the fly fishing gear outperformed the spinning gear by far.

#24 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

I was out fishing with a friend red bank bridge area yesterday I was using spinning gear and he was on fly.  He caught 24 and I got 5.  We fished same spots most of the times.  Make me a believer of fly.

#25 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

Yes Quispamgolfer using fly fishing tackle for stripers is quite effective. There are lots of great flies for stripers. Last week we found that a smaller fly with a thin body worked better in the morning but in the evening when the stripers were most active they would pretty well grab any fly we were using. One neat fly that the guy I was guiding had an articulating(jointed) body which had great action and the stripers hammered it. In the morning we would let the fly sink for a three count then strip it in slowly with a pause after each strip but in the evening we could strip it in right away with a quicker retrieve and no pause.
Stripers over 5 pounds hit hard on spinning gear so on a 9 weight fly rod you are going to have a blast. Then when you get into the 10-30 pound stripers on a fly rod you have a goood battle on your hands. Remember to sharpen the hook on your fly as stripers have a hard mouth and getting a good hook set is a little more difficult. Lifting the rod isn't enough to set the hook on the large stripers so instead strip the line hard to set the hook while you pull the butt of your fly rod back and slightly up with your other hand to get a really good hookset. Often the smaller fish can be brought in just by stripping the line and letting it fall into the bottom of the boat but with stripers in the 7-8 pound range and larger it's a good idea to fight these fish on the reel as they will put up a great fight and you don't want to get line tangled around your feet or on something in the boat when these larger fish decide to make a run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users