#1 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Stripers have been being caught for the past few days now on the Miramichi. It's still early and water is still cold so they are still around the city of Miramichi but there has been some pretty good fishing just above Eelground.

#2 Raboabie

Raboabie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRothesay

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

NW is this an early run if so do you think it will effect the amount of fish around at the Striper Cup time?

#3 mercuryrules

mercuryrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

300,000 bass  come in to the river to spawn - not all of them will spawn the same time . in last 5 years the spawn was on or around may 26-28 . last year fsihing was good the first week of june ( out door canada caught and released 200 + with many over 25 pounds )

Striper cup is 48 hrs earlier this year so we should be good to go .

general it is water temp that triggers spawning - should be a great may season for sure if water warms up quickly

At this time of year you should see small schoolies up river thinking they may get a head start ! Typical teenagers !

Cant wait for the striper cup

should be awesome time - with 50,000 $ up for grabs in cash and prizes !

#4 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

300,000 was the number last year plus DFO estimates on the low side. In 2013 when I was director of natural resources(2010-2014) for Red Bank I met with DFO on a regular basis. I think that year DFO's official number was around 200,000 spawners but I was told then that the number was probably much larger-maybe double. They mainly estimate the population from the catches in gaspereau traps.
Really it's only seems early due to the fact that the ice left last week and we have had some nice weather so people have been out fishing. There are quite a few bass that spend the winter under the ice in Miramichi so they are the ones being caught now. As mercuryrules stated above it's water temp that triggers spawning. Last year by the end of May there were lots of bass being caught from Miramichi all the way up to the Red Bank bridge. My largest bass last season was around the 28th of May by the red bank bridge and was over 40 pounds. Spawning activity was good from end of May all the way to mid June and I had good fishing right up until mid July. With the population growing each year there are stripers staying up river longer and some staying in deep water water pools above even above the red bank bridge all summer into fall. Fishing just keeps getting better each year.

#5 Fishmayhem

Fishmayhem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

Striper update
Out today with my wife. Saw a few caught, nothing overly big, most looked in the 2-3 lbs range, but we managed 3 fish all around 7.5 lbs in 5 hrs. No huge numbers but better than last week.
Water temps 47-48 F

#6 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

Was talking To Debbie Norton at Oxbow on Friday - she thinks we are two weeks out - trhey are not getiing much

#7 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Yes yesterday was slow. I launched my boat in Eelground but didn't stay out long as it was kinda rough. I then drove down to lower Newcastle and fished off the shore down towards Gordon's wharf. There were a few being caught there and I stayed for an hour and landed 6. After that I tried the other side of the river in loggieville. Fished off shore just past middle island and caught a few more. Nothing over 10 pounds with most being 3-5 pounds. Probably be another week or two at the most and bass will start moving up towards Cassillis-Red Bank. As long as the temps warm up the bass fishing should be really good soon. Water is really low for this time of year so it should warm up pretty quick.

#8 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

The bass are all the way up to red bank bridge and further. They were splashing everywhere tonight by the bridge and was pretty well hooking them every cast. There were bass splashing aroumd right up to the oxbow below Debbie Nortons lodge.

#9 mrbreeze555

mrbreeze555

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

How long is this likely to last? This is my first time and I was planning on bringing my old man and my uncle at the end of May beginning of June to experience it but I wouldn't want to miss it.

#10 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

end of May is still good

#11 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

Right through to end of June is really good from Red Bank bridge to Cassillis area. I caught bass last year till mid July. The peak in RB/Cassillis area is last week ofay through second week of June.

#12 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Last sentence is supposed to be-last week of May through to second week of June

#13 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

What's the best go-to lure? I'm going to try for my first time ever next weekend? Also do you troll to find them? Just just find the top water action? Anything around redbank I need to look out for for hazards?

#14 MonctonFishernoob

MonctonFishernoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

swimbaits swimbaits swimbaits, cheap easy and will catch 50 fish before exploding. large paddle tails almost any color youll be doing alright. As far as top water action, you wont see much yet, at least we havent during the day. I get bored of trolling, but your odds of hooking into something other than a bass go up im guessing.

Move around and test things out, id keep a paddle tail on the end of my line 95% of the time till i got sick of catching fish and you wanna just play

#15 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:10 AM

Yup any kind of swim bait with the paddle tail. I use the Storm Wildeye live Herring baits that come in package of four-5 inches long and 1 ounce. I have a tackle box full of other hooks but pretty well only take that one off to put a new one on after the bass have tore it up. There are some blocks(old piers) just under the surface at low tide from the Millbrook to the red bank bridge. All kinds of bass this eve over 20 pounds being caught by everyone right at and below the red bank bridge. Bass splashing everywhere around 8pm as tide was going out.

#16 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

You can troll if you like but I prefer to anchor or drift with the current and cast. Topwater will be good very soon-within this next week

#17 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

I should say that fishing up towards red bank bridge peaks as tide is on it's way out to complete low tide. When the tide is high I usually go down towards Cassillis. This heavy rain will prob slow the bass bite in Red Bank a bit as it will certainly cool the water a little and when that happens the bass drop down a little further into deeper water.

#18 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Sweet thanks I can't wait to give it a go!

#19 Cam man

Cam man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew Maryland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Planning to drive over Wednesday or Thursday and shore fish. Only place I've fished in the past has been Strawberry Marsh and wondering if anyone can suggest places where I should have better luck as I've had pretty poor luck there. thanks

tight lines

#20 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Make sure you use one hook rules have changed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users