8 replies to this topic

#1 troutchaser

troutchaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

In a few rivers I fish I have come across nets running across the river staked to iron bars. Since fishing season is comming fast when I see this what should I do. Troutchaser.

#2 kayakfisher

kayakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

About 5 years ago while fishing a small stream near Memramcook I tripped on a rope in the stream and almost broke my neck.  The rope was the same colour as the trees and I didn't see it as I was focused on fishing downstream.  After pulling myself upright and thanking the stars I didn't drown I yanked on the rope.  It was attached to a wire trap (that I later learned was a trout poaching trap) that had about 40 trout inside it swimming around.  Well I got pissed and tore the trap door open and let out all the trout.  I then yanked the trap out of the water and drug it up the bank about a 1/2 km back to the car.  Being not too far from the DNR office in Dieppe I brought the trap there with the location where I had found it.   The Ranger said it would have been better if I had left it there so they could monitor it.   I said...oh well too late.   He then said..."well if we had seen you dragging it around a stream then YOU could have been charged".

That being said....I would suggest you leave it alone and mark its location the go tell DNR about it.  Let the guys with the guns handle it.

#3 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Maybe it was Indians set the net

Jim VE9WH

#4 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

In a few rivers I fish I have come across nets running across the river staked to iron bars. Since fishing season is comming fast when I see this what should I do. Troutchaser.

I'm not sure if you literally mean that the net is across the river. If that is the case it is definitely illegally set. See section 29 of the Fisheries Act 

Obstructing passage of fish or waters

• 29 (1) No person shall erect, use or maintain any seine, net, weir or other fishing appliance that

• (a) unduly obstructs the passage of fish in any Canadian fisheries waters, whether subject to any exclusive right of fishery or not; or

• (B) obstructs more than two thirds of the width of any river or stream or more than one third of the width of the main channel at low tide of any tidal stream.

I'm not certain but I think nets are supposed to be labelled with the owners name and maybe the license number and it cannot interfere with navigation. If the net isn't labelled or has floats and appears to be set so it won't be seen it is probably illegal. If it is on a smaller trout stream I suspect it is illegal. Report it to DNR or DFO.

#5 troutchaser

troutchaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:56 AM

There is no names on these nets and they from one side to to the other which is 15'at this point. The next time I see these nets I am going to take pictures and gps the location and give it to DFO

#6 EC-ANGLER

EC-ANGLER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

Ya, all nets need to have some identification numbers/tags/names etc. Also, like another said, no net can completely stretch across a river or stream. They are illegal.

#7 DeeOGee

DeeOGee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

It would be worth taking an extra step to help them out and set up a trailcam. If set up right they can be almost impossible to spot, cammo it with old man's beard (Spanish moss I think is the proper name?)

#8 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

It would be worth taking an extra step to help them out and set up a trailcam. If set up right they can be almost impossible to spot, cammo it with old man's beard (Spanish moss I think is the proper name?)          

Bad idea. Criminals don't like to have their picture taken. You don't want to be checking your camera at the same time the poachers are checking their net. Report it to DFO or DNR and let them install a camera.

#9 newfie boy

newfie boy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

if you see a net and/or trap set across or part ways across a river,brook,pond,lake or any body of water, that don't have any markings such as a number,name or id attached, do not attempt to remove it,except if  there is a person tangled,stop fishing and leave the area asap and report it to the dfo asap,,, because if you do not report it, and the dfo shows up or have a camera watching and your near the net or trap you may be charged as the person owning the net or trap,if you don't report it to the dfo,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users