Amace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSaint john

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

I've seen pictures (and video) where my
Wife's coworker was fishing and he and his buddy were catching every single cast. They claimed to have caught over a hundred fish in less than an hour, and gave credit of their success to the fact it was spawning time for smallies and that they were extremely aggressive that time of year.
-Can anyone validate this information- and more importantly- if it's right, what time do smallies spawn? I'd love to know when the best chance to get my 11 year old on some non stop action will be!!

#2 duckboy2010

duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationoromocto

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:03 PM

Bass are somewhat territorial and spread out when they build a nest for spawning so I doubt they could find 100 bass in an hour . I suspect they were fishing pre-spawn. Bass will stack up at this time as they move to the spawning areas. When they actually start to spawn could be as early as  mid May to as late as mid June as temperature is an important factor.. Head out in May and Find a spot where bass might concentrate like the mouth of a river or bay and you should catch some fish.  

#3 Micropterus

Micropterus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

I agree with the duckboy....they were fishing pre-spawn. Most likely near the mouth of a creek or entrance to a lake or backwater. Timing and water temperature is everything. 

#4 Amace

Amace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSaint john

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info!
(Based on the winter we've had and the current water comparisons to recent seasons, I'd say First day of lake fishing (May 1) might be the time
to check it out!!) 👍🏼

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users