Got my smelt, but had to leave the province to do it - Smelt - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Got my smelt, but had to leave the province to do it

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

So I was more than a little disappointed with the lack of ice this season after finally getting gear together to do some ice fishing locally.

Thankfully, we made a trip to Cape Breton to visit my in-laws this week. My mother-in-law was the one who introduced me and my son to ice fishing.  

Went out 3 days in a row on a smaller branch of the Bras d'Or Lakes that still had healthy ice:

• Wednesday AM - out for 3 hours, nothing
  • Wednesday PM - out for 2 hours before dusk, 43 smelt, one cod (released)
  • Thursday - out for 7 hours, son and mother-in-law caught 12 smelt, I got 4
  • Friday AM - out for 3 hours, nothing.

Bait used was squid, nightcrawlers, and bare hooks on an old jigging line that had red fuzz around the shanks.

quite a few folks out on Thursday PM near to where I was fishing, and it was hit or miss: one group has a collapsable shack on the ice longer than I did, and caught 2 fish, while a couple guys sitting on their buckets a few feet away with Lanterns at the end of the day caught their limits. Funny how things go.

Anyway, the 43 smelt made it to my freezer, while the others made for a nice breakfast on Friday. Now to start planning for next year :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users