#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

I know a lot of people don't have their shacks out, but I'm curious as to how those that are actually getting out are doing this year.

Here in the south, in January-April 2015 (yes I was still on the ice well into April, what a  friggin' winter that was!), Cameron Road was okay, Renforth was excellent (with tiny smelt and a few odd species caught on top of those) and I never really got much at Dominion.

In 2016 I haven't had a reason to fish Cameron or Renforth yet because Dominion is much closer for me and has been very good so far. About five trips so far and always have caught enough for a meal for my family or someone else. I've heard from other shack owners there that they're doing okay to great, and suspect shack placement plays a huge role in success rates, even within the same village.

How's it been for you all?

#2 Slappin da Bass

Slappin da Bass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've been twice so far in the Shediac area and I always come back with 30-40 after a few hours. This is my first year fishing smelt, so I don't know what the average catch is. From my point of view, it's going quite well. Anxious to go out again.

#3 TroutCommander

TroutCommander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGlouchester, NB

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

I use a 18lb portable or just sit in a chair with my back to the wind depending on the weather. Got 3 dozen so far this season. The people I see with the large hauls are the people with nets or spears. They come out every day and go home with 60 or more. 

A bad day fishing beats a good day working. 

#4 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

Trout Commander: if they are indeed going home with more than 60 smelts each, they are poaching, assuming they are fishing in Gloucester County.

#5 TroutCommander

TroutCommander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGlouchester, NB

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

Trout Commander: if they are indeed going home with more than 60 smelts each, they are poaching, assuming they are fishing in Gloucester County.

Dude spearing had a big pile said he had 60. I'm not going to count them. Maybe he did have 60. And I don't know what the commercial license count is for smelt. 

Everyone knows each other and I'm just an outsider so.. But when 3 or more guys say "oh there was a guy last night fishing at 2 am says he caught 100, but who knows maybe he threw em back or it's just a tall tale.  But nobody's sitting there counting.  

I need to just bring my headphones so I can drown out the noise. 

A bad day fishing beats a good day working. 

#6 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

I don't think commercially licensed fishermen have a quota,  but they fish with nets from what I can tell.

#7 bbb9

bbb9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

b

I know a lot of people don't have their shacks out, but I'm curious as to how those that are actually getting out are doing this year.

Here in the south, in January-April 2015 (yes I was still on the ice well into April, what a  friggin' winter that was!), Cameron Road was okay, Renforth was excellent (with tiny smelt and a few odd species caught on top of those) and I never really got much at Dominion.

In 2016 I haven't had a reason to fish Cameron or Renforth yet because Dominion is much closer for me and has been very good so far. About five trips so far and always have caught enough for a meal for my family or someone else. I've heard from other shack owners there that they're doing okay to great, and suspect shack placement plays a huge role in success rates, even within the same village.

How's it been for you all?

you mean dominion park ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users