• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Freaky Beanie

Freaky Beanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

How far from the ocean do smelts go generally? Is it best to fish closer to the ocean or further up river? And also is it best in shallow water (4ft or less) or deeper. Also I'm around the Bouctouche area.
Thanks and sorry for the Noob questions.

#2 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Most ice fishing villages cluster around reasonably reliable spots, and the ones at least down here in the south of the province are fairly noob friendly as long as you don't borrow and wreck anyone's auger. A suggestion is to just pop down to wherever you see an ice fishing community, introduce yourself to the people that seem to get a fair amount of respect or that look like they know what they're doing, and the odds are good that if they're like the people I've met while ice fishing, you'll pick up some solid regional pointers there. It might seriously up the odds of a successful day.

And welcome to the forums. :) 

#3 Freaky Beanie

Freaky Beanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

I totally agree. But I have a portable shelter on a sled and a few rivers down home that I'm willing to try. But I will definitely pop in with the villages. I haven't fished for about 20 years but I'm sure willing to grab any pointers. Thanks ;)

#4 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

If you are in Bouctouche, there should be good fishing anywhere along that river. I would suspect anywhere within sight of the Highway 11 would be good. You can catch them relatively close to the ocean, as well as much, much further up river, however you will typically catch them closer to the ocean early on, and as the season progresses you can catch them further up river as they are moving up to their spawning grounds when they ultimately arrive there in early spring (they tend to be full of bumps all over their body by then). Typically in that part of the province -i.e Kent County, people fish for smelts in relatively shallow water (3'-5'), and bays tend to produce the best. This is typically where you will find ice fishing shacks.

#5 Freaky Beanie

Freaky Beanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

Great thanks. I don't plan to be a professional smelt fisher but it's easy to loose hope when there's no fish. Thanks alot again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users