#1 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Wondering if anyone's been there smelt fishing yet? 

#2 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

yup! They have been fishing for about two weeks now from what people have been saying! not to sure about two weeks, but since last week for sure! I'm going tomorrow! The smelt are hitting very well from what I've been hearing! Talked to a friend of mime today, he caught his limit of sixty smelt two days in a row! Now's the time, before the ice sets in and they set all those box nets in the river and catch everything ! They should be real tasty this time of year! They haven't been in the river to long!

#3 MackTrev

MackTrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

is the limit still 60 this year? has anyone every tried fishing them from the shore near a bridge with regular gear when there's no ice?? I'm asking because I have a serious itch to fish!! lol

#4 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

Macktrev, 60 smelt limit on all "other tidal water" (a few exceptions where there's no limits up at the designated tidal lakes like Grand, not sure why - maybe they don't go into those bodies).

Details here: http://www2.gnb.ca/c.../IceFishing.pdf

I've caught them in open water near wharfs in spring - they seem to like getting close to structure as long as it's deep and vertical. Can't speak for casting out for bridges though. I'd imagine you'd miss a tremendous number of hits because for at least the tinkers I often catch in these parts, they often hit so light you almost need a vertical line to tell. 

#5 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

My sources have informed me that the smelt are running on the Richibucto River. Not enough ice for shacks yet, but safe enough for walking. They are doing quite well in Rexton, in fact. Equally as well in Richibucto.

#6 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

I was in Rexton today! Got on the ice around noon! There were only two other guys there! Left at 3:30, got my limit of sixty smelt! The bite was a bit slow, but steady! The sizes were from five inch to about ten inches! That one surprised me, the average size was about seven inches! Where I was today, there is about six inches of ice! Safe to walk on, but this is in a cove, I wouldn't want to venture out to far, not sure of ice thickness on the river itself! Hopefully I'll get to go again this weekend!

#7 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, it sure is appreciated.   The girlfriend and I are going down this weekend, she's as excited as I am!  The possibility of catching them that easily sounds like a lot of fun to her.  We're used to fishing them on Grand lake where the smelt are huge, but we'd be lucky to catch 60 a season. 

Being my first time ice fishing where the tides are so powerful, and this weekend having peak tides, is there anything I should know?   (safety getting on/off the ice?)     I'm not new to ice fishing, just nervous around the tides.   lol

Cheers,

M    

#8 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, it sure is appreciated.   The girlfriend and I are going down this weekend, she's as excited as I am!  The possibility of catching them that easily sounds like a lot of fun to her.  We're used to fishing them on Grand lake where the smelt are huge, but we'd be lucky to catch 60 a season. 

Being my first time ice fishing where the tides are so powerful, and this weekend having peak tides, is there anything I should know?   (safety getting on/off the ice?)     I'm not new to ice fishing, just nervous around the tides.   lol

Cheers,

M    

Where in Rexton are you going? I usually go by Water street, in town! There is a cove there and the water is not that deep, and the tides aren't that bad! The one thing you have to keep an eye out for is, when the tide does come up, watch the shore line, because you can get stuck on the ice! The tide comes up and it opens a gap between the shore and the ice! If you don't mind getting wet, no problem, but chances are your stuck there until low tide! Happened to me a few times, I don't mind, just a good excuse to keep fishing! I use red, Berkley waxies! there hard to find, but Cabela's has some! They work very well! Also the fluorescent orange eggs work well too! Good luck this weekend!

#9 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Striperfan!!   I planned on fishing in the same area.  Not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday though, but we're very excited to give it a go!!  We'll be there in a black sportage, cute little blonde and myself.  Feel free to come over for a chat, I should have the kettle and bailey's ;)    Cheers pal, thanks again for all the info.

M

#10 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

Your very welcome! Always glad to help a fellow fisherman! i know how hard it can be to fish a new area! The trick there, is if you can fish in two to four feet of water, with the changing tides! That's what I do, seems to work for me! I'm going on Sunday, if everything goes as planed?! I will definitely drop by for a chat if your there!

#11 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

yup! They have been fishing for about two weeks now from what people have been saying! not to sure about two weeks, but since last week for sure! I'm going tomorrow! The smelt are hitting very well from what I've been hearing! Talked to a friend of mime today, he caught his limit of sixty smelt two days in a row! Now's the time, before the ice sets in and they set all those box nets in the river and catch everything ! They should be real tasty this time of year! They haven't been in the river to long!

wow, he ate 60 smelt in one night? My way of reminding that the bag limit is the possession limit - therefore you can only keep 'the limit' minus what you have in the freezer.

Reminds me of a particular newspaper article a few years back featuring a NB premier showing his family tradition of a feed of trout on xmas day. The article picture shows more then 50 brook trout on the dinner table. Nice way to lead the people :-)

#12 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Actually they did eat sixty smelts in one night! They own a senior citizens care home! The elders housed there, love a fresh smelt fry a couple nights a week, when smelt is in season!I do know the difference between a bag limit and possession! My way of saying until you know the whole story don't assume:-) As for the premier! Could it be possible that more than one person gave trout for the Christmas party? Not just the premier! Once again don't assume until you know the whole story:-)

No hard feelings! Just saying!

#13 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

I can attest that at the very minimum you need at least 60 smelts for a smelt fry. Two limits makes a good feed for four or five guys. We usually have one or two per season.The smaller ones are the best as you can eat the bones and all. Plus, we tend to keep only the smaller ones anyway, as we find that the bigger ones are more often-than-not egged females. I trust I need not explain why we feel releasing them is important.

#14 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

More great tips!  A new area is always a challenge in one way or another... but adds to the adventure I guess!   We're going down Saturday... with a little luck, we'll be going home with 120 small smelts!   If she's up to it, we may return Sunday.   We'll have no trouble making 120 smelts disappear with a little help from my brother Saturday night. 60 smelt per person sounds like a lot... until they're fried golden brown.

Thanks Striperfan, members like you make this site worth visiting for me!   If you ever get the urge to fish down my way for burbot, pickerel, whitefish or HUGE smelt.  PM me.  I don't mind sharing info, spots and gear. I just love the sport and sharing it!!  I keep a well insulated shack with large windows on Grand lake, always well stocked with propane, food, drink and gear that goes unused through the week. If you're looking for a change of scenery later on this winter, keep it in mind, you're more than welcomed to it, anytime.

Atoqwa'su ---  Is there an easy to tell the males from females by simply looking at them?  I too prefer not to keep females... And you're right, eat the small ones bones and all! 

Cheers!

#15 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Atoqwa'su ---  Is there an easy to tell the males from females by simply looking at them?  I too prefer not to keep females... And you're right, eat the small ones bones and all! 

I'm sure there is a way, but I am not aware of it. Over the years it has been our experience that most of the big smelts are females, but not all, and most of the small ones are males, but also no all. Therefore, we just decided one day to not keep the big ones anymore.

#16 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks!  I think I'll use your rule of thumb on this one.  Would rather eat the small ones... regardless of gender.  haha

Atoqwa'su -- sending you a PM

Cheers and happy fishing!

#17 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

More great tips!  A new area is always a challenge in one way or another... but adds to the adventure I guess!   We're going down Saturday... with a little luck, we'll be going home with 120 small smelts!   If she's up to it, we may return Sunday.   We'll have no trouble making 120 smelts disappear with a little help from my brother Saturday night. 60 smelt per person sounds like a lot... until they're fried golden brown.

Thanks Striperfan, members like you make this site worth visiting for me!   If you ever get the urge to fish down my way for burbot, pickerel, whitefish or HUGE smelt.  PM me.  I don't mind sharing info, spots and gear. I just love the sport and sharing it!!  I keep a well insulated shack with large windows on Grand lake, always well stocked with propane, food, drink and gear that goes unused through the week. If you're looking for a change of scenery later on this winter, keep it in mind, you're more than welcomed to it, anytime.

Cheers!

mmoore! Thank you for the kind words! It's always a pleasure helping out! Atoqua'su, I never keep the big smelt! Because I find the smaller ones taste a lot better than big ones! I guess the possibility of them being female is an other good excuse to let them go!

#18 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

mmoore! Thank you for the kind words! It's always a pleasure helping out! Atoqua'su, I never keep the big smelt! Because I find the smaller ones taste a lot better than big ones! I guess the possibility of them being female is an other good excuse to let them go!

True of any fish species. Lobster, perch, trout, bass, etc.

Smaller always tastes better. Sweeter, not bitter, and better mouth feel (not as tough and dry).

#19 mmoore

mmoore

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMinto

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

We were there on Saturday and had a blast!  Girlfriend and I both got our limits in a few hours and we're newbs!  My niece even joined in on the fun and caught a dozen herself.     Thanks again fellas!

How's the ice holding up down there after Sunday's rain?   We're thinking of going back down this weekend. 

Cheers!

M

#20 Striperfan

Striperfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

I haven't been there since last Sunday! But I have seen people fishing there since! The ice should still be good! I would not venture to far out, but with the cold weather the past few days, should be safe! I'm going Saturday, so I'll know then for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users