#1 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Im going to be in hampton sat morning so my bow can get tuned up so i figured i would fish the morning. Anyone willing to give me any advice on where to go for smallies/picks/or anything else fun. I know theres lots of boat launches around but i just dont know where to head to. Thanks.

#2 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Launch at the big green bridge near downtown (follow the signs to Zelda's Boat Tours.) You'll find it by going around the traffic circle downtown, and turning off the traffic circle towards the Pizza Delight, just the other side of the train tracks. Keep going for a couple of miles. When you see a big green bridge in front of you, take a left just before crossing the bridge.

There's a super boat launch there, even a toilet. Facing the water from the boat launch, if you go right, there are tons of yellow perch, some of them of some size, but little else, maybe some pickerel here and there in the weeds.

If you go left (towards Quispam) there are a few bass, quite a few perch and a few pickerel to be had. Some have even caught the odd schoolie in recent days. 

If you go left, the boating is unlimited, you can boat all the way to the Mactaquac dam if you want, or Cambridge Narrows, or Belleisle Bay, or heck even the Bay of Fundy.

If you right, you will eventually run out of water, though not for several kilometres.

The fishing there has gone downhill in recent years but it is still worthwhile and a beautiful place to look at.

If you know where Sturgeon Alley is, they will occasionally get a striper out of there, though usually later in the year.

Be careful with your boat if you proceed up the Hammond River, often, once the train bridge comes into view, that is the signal that your prop is about to take a good beating, at least in my limited experience there.

#3 Eco Diesel

Eco Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

IMO it's better to launch in Belleisle next to the ferry.  If your boat is any size the Hammond is too low.  Bottomed out in my Kayak twice yesterday(low tide mind you)  and a boat ran aground last month in the Kennebecasis by the channel buoys.

In Belleisle you could also fish Kingston creek or head up river to Evandale for gas and bite.

#4 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

True for most of the length of the Hammond once you get a ways above the lodge. There's a few good fishing holes after a couple of pretty mean portages, but generally if you want another distance run without a lot of work bodies of water like the Kennebecasis would be better.

#5 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

I hate shallow water so we put in by the ferry at bellisle. Fished kingston creek, caught a few pickerel in there and some perch but over all, worst fishing i have seen in a long time.

#6 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

I've put in at Hampton about five or more times each summer for over a decade and haven't found shallow water yet. I must be doing it wrong lol.

#7 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

When i went by the ramp, the water looked like 2' deep everywhere. All there was, was weeds and grass poking through everywhere i could see

#8 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Wow! I've never seen that before in my life (not that I live around there.)

Was this by the big green bridge Black?

#9 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yup. There were a few kayakers out. Water was very dirty as well. I have never been so seeing that I figured we wouldnjust keep driving to belleisle. Which is a beautiful spot for boating.

#10 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

Well I am floored.

I hope I didn't waste your time by steering you wrong. 

I go often with a 16 foot open aluminum, with a 15 HP long shaft, and never even came close to having an issue but I haven't been there since mid-July. I guess things can change ffrom time to time.

#11 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Ya, again ive never been there. Maybe it was ok once u get down in, and no u didnt waste my time. Had to go by there anyway. I always appreciate all advice. My boat is a 16' deep haul with a floor in it with a 25hp long shaft.

#12 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

I've put in at Hampton about five or more times each summer for over a decade and haven't found shallow water yet. I must be doing it wrong lol.

Some of those notes about depth were for the nearby "Hammond", not the river that passes directly through Hampton. 

A power boat of any size at all venturing too far above the usual Hammond put-in spot close to the lodge would probably make a decent fishing show blooper reel. :)

On dirty water: the banks around the Hampton bridge are quite silty, particularly when it gets low. You get a couple boats with big motors racing through there, or even a few jetskis, and the wake will stir up the bank and combined with low flow rates during a dry summer it will eventually turn the whole thing into soup. 

#13 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

That area is a no wake zone

Jim VE9WH

#14 Micropterus

Micropterus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

maybe it is time to contact the coast guard or RC's to put the no wake zone buoys back in. I've seen far too many big boats making too much of a wake in that area...not only causing siltation of the river and erosion of the banks, but damage to boats and swamping small boats.

#15 Mustang

Mustang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

I got skunked in all my best pickerel spots at Hampton last week - the water was very brown and silty.

Would normally catch and release a dozen or more large pickerel in a couple of hours this time of year.

I'm usually out at 6 am, so I don't see a lot of boats, but that has to be the reason why the fishing is poor.

#16 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

Water temp in kingston creek last sat was 22.7 °C

#17 dj105

dj105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

maybe it is time to contact the coast guard or RC's to put the no wake zone buoys back in. I've seen far too many big boats making too much of a wake in that area...not only causing siltation of the river and erosion of the banks, but damage to boats and swamping small boats.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been on that stretch, but when I was out last time, I noticed that the "no wake" buoy was in the water, but laying over on it's side so you can't really see it unless you know to look for it. .... and those who know to look for it already know it's a no wake zone. 

I use that stretch of water probably more than any other, and I've never had a problem with depth. There are a few spots I've learned to be careful of, like passing around the point of Darlings island to get to Darlings lake, but overall the channel is always pretty safe if you stay near the middle. As for the fishing there, I've seen some people have good luck there, but I'm not one of them. Of course, I don't have much luck anywhere. 

#18 Eco Diesel

Eco Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Two of us trolled from our Kayaks last night and we had no luck out in the lake or by the bar. Just a few perch.  We also found a few dead suckers.  The water is very warm still In the Hammond and as you go into the lake. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users