#21 SloppyJo

SloppyJo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I've caught plenty of smallies with a size 8 olive bugger. All you've gotta do is keep stripping the fly. I use a 4-4-4 stripping pattern, sort of. Strip for four inches, four times, pause four seconds, then repeat. Not sure if it's just corny or if that's propper "technique" but it's worked great for me. Works best when casting downstream and stripping upstream as this seems to animate the fly the best. If I had one fly to use for bass, it'd be a beaded wooly, hands down!

#22 chasingtrout1

chasingtrout1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

4136.jpg

caught multiple 15 inch + bass today on thes guys, add rubber legs to create more movement

Edited by chasingtrout1, 27 July 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#23 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Guys,

Bass fishing on the Rideau Lakes between Ottawa and Kingston is 90% largemouth.  The St. Lawrence Seaway between Kingston and Brockville (1000 Islands) is great for both largemouth and smallmouth.  When I was a kid in the 70's we used to fish with live green frogs on a weedless hook using a fly rod in those swampy bays on the Rideau.  You could drag that frog over logs and lily pads and the big bass would just erupt through the weeds to grab it.   Our favorite topwater lure for calm water was a Jitterbug.   It was all pretty low-tech with fibreglass rods and Mitchell 300 spinning reels, but we caught a ton of bass using those systems and good ones would often run 4 lbs.   Pan fried bass was on the breakfast menu every summer weekend and there seemed to be an endless supply  (I think I've only eaten fish that I have caught in NB about 3 times in the last 5 years)

No question there are more bass there and the water is warmer for sure.   Although I still haven't found the aggressive surface strikes here, I've had my best season for SMB in years and I'm looking forward to exploring more good fishing spots like the Mactaquac headpond and Lake Utopia.

I have had great luck with topwater for bass all over the province for the past couple years. Though on any given night it takes me 4-5 different topwater lures to determine what they happen to like at the time. My most productive top water is a Heddon Torpedo Mini. Bought it last year on a whim and hit probably 30-40 on it between August and October last year, and have gotten 10-15 so far this year, in slightly choppy water. My largest bass in Quebec two weeks ago was on the Heddon Torpedo.

For flies though, I have only hit a couple bass on topwater flies, my go to is usually an Olive Wooly Bugger with Black tail and a couple strands of Flashabou coming from the head, or on the odd occasion a drifted leadwing coachman *shrug*. I also have some low fat minnows tied on size 2 matzuo bait hooks which have some great action on the slow strip. Bunny strip leeches kill in faster current!

I've caught plenty of smallies with a size 8 olive bugger. All you've gotta do is keep stripping the fly. I use a 4-4-4 stripping pattern, sort of. Strip for four inches, four times, pause four seconds, then repeat. Not sure if it's just corny or if that's propper "technique" but it's worked great for me. Works best when casting downstream and stripping upstream as this seems to animate the fly the best. If I had one fly to use for bass, it'd be a beaded wooly, hands down!

I usually use a 3 - 2 - 3 pattern with variable pauses, depending on the depth and sink rate. I like sometimes just letting a bunny strip leech in current just hang and wiggle while I relax. Kind like trolling, standing still. Just as long as it sits in front of a prime feeding hole behind a rock or log in the current, a couple minutes of wiggle will pull any bass out of it's whole to take a bite.

#24 SloppyJo

SloppyJo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

I have had great luck with topwater for bass all over the province for the past couple years. Though on any given night it takes me 4-5 different topwater lures to determine what they happen to like at the time. My most productive top water is a Heddon Torpedo Mini. Bought it last year on a whim and hit probably 30-40 on it between August and October last year, and have gotten 10-15 so far this year, in slightly choppy water. My largest bass in Quebec two weeks ago was on the Heddon Torpedo.

For flies though, I have only hit a couple bass on topwater flies, my go to is usually an Olive Wooly Bugger with Black tail and a couple strands of Flashabou coming from the head, or on the odd occasion a drifted leadwing coachman *shrug*. I also have some low fat minnows tied on size 2 matzuo bait hooks which have some great action on the slow strip. Bunny strip leeches kill in faster current!

I usually use a 3 - 2 - 3 pattern with variable pauses, depending on the depth and sink rate. I like sometimes just letting a bunny strip leech in current just hang and wiggle while I relax. Kind like trolling, standing still. Just as long as it sits in front of a prime feeding hole behind a rock or log in the current, a couple minutes of wiggle will pull any bass out of it's whole to take a bite.

Thanks for the tip SG_Noodles. I'll give this 3-2-3 pattern a shot! Probably going out tonight for a bit.

#25 NBhunter80

NBhunter80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

I do well using big salmon bombers for smallmouth and slowly stripping them across the surface.

#26 NBFred

NBFred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Just last week during that heat wave with low water I landed 6 nice bass on the fly, using orange bombers.  They love it, out with a couple others using different ones but they hit the orange the most.

#27 Admeister

Admeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NB

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Caught 2 decent smallies on black wooly buggers on Sunday up on the Nashwaak, as well as a huge chubb. They seem to really enjoy them. Wonder if they'd go for an orange wooly bugger? I'll get some orange Marabou next time i'm at Can Tire :D Thanks for the tip.

#28 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

Admeister
Black wooly bugger with orange marabou tail is my 'go to' wet fly for bass. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Brent

#29 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

I bought #8 olive and black wooly buggers from CTC. Also the #6 black marabou muddler as it looks interesting. Anyone has success with the above muddler? Also how do you add orange marabou tail to black wooly bugger?

#30 Admeister

Admeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NB

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

I bought #8 olive and black wooly buggers from CTC. Also the #6 black marabou muddler as it looks interesting. Anyone has success with the above muddler? Also how do you add orange marabou tail to black wooly bugger?

I actually made a few of those yesterday (#8 olive and black wolly buggers). I plan to tie some orange and black ones tomorrow for Sunday, based on Brent's endorsement of the pattern :D. I suppose you could try to add orange, but it would be best to tie a whole new bugger. I think orange marabou tail, black chenille, and orange hackle would look pretty awesome. Halloweenie Bugger.

#31 Admeister

Admeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NB

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Going to go test this fella tomorrow, the Halloweenie Bugger :D

(Sorry for the lack of finesse, just started tying this week)

halloweenie%20bugger.jpg

#32 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

Lack of finesse? It's a wooly bugger and it looks just fine to me. Any more finesse than that would be wasted on bass. It should look great in the water. Retrieve it with irregular strips so it can undulate and give lots of action to the marabou.
Quispam: yes, I was implying that they be originally tied with orange tail. But it's not critical. The flies you describe should work fine.
Brent.

#33 Old Guide

Old Guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationClarks Corner , /Between Fredericton and Jemseg

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:10 AM

That Fly does indeed Look geat ,beggineer Ha !  , that is sick!!! you will get some Bass with that my friend.

The Son of a Coal Miner and Dam proud of iT !

#34 Admeister

Admeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NB

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Well well... I guess sometimes it doesn't matter how tasty they look if the fish aren't hungry... skunked Sunday morning and Monday morning on the Nashwaak... Guess I'll try again after another week of work.  

#35 NBFred

NBFred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

I got a couple on Sunday up river but I did learn one, thing trying to take video and fly fish at the same time isn't easy.  Lost one because of it and never did get him to hit the fly again. 

#36 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

Look on the bright side. It's a chance to be more 'in the moment', which is one of fly fishing's true charms. You may have stumbled onto a partial cure for Documentia!
Brent

#37 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

I caught three big chubbs with black wooly bugger yesterday so they catch fish. I did not catch any bass with them as I am still learning how to fly fish and not able to cast very far. Clear water sunny day I find better success in catching bass if you can cast lure far.

#38 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

I didn't read all the posts so somebody may have already said this, but from experience if they aren't biting big stuff like poppers, I put on something small like a #8 buck bug and that's usually all it takes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users