43 replies to this topic

#41 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

Very Cool....That's It'.  I'm throwing all my Shad Flies away and fishing with Ruber Worms :rolleyes:

No you're not. Nice try, though. :)

#42 salmonfan

salmonfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Just being nosy, as I know nothing about shad, but do you guys keep any? Are they good eating...or just fun to catch and release for next year?

Joe

#43 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

I don't keep any, but some people like to bake them, others smoke them. They are too fishy and bony for my liking.

#44 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

I have at least one annual feed of one or two fish, with personally picked fiddleheads and baby new potatoes. About as maritime a meal as you can get. Didn't catch any of my own, but got a couple from a friend that were absolutely delicious (thanks again Joe!).

There's three basic methods to cook them that I'm aware of as the most common: cold-smoke 'em overnight and then bake 'em later (holy crap, excellent!), slow-bake for 6 hours or longer (this supposedly dissolves many of the hair-sized bones, haven't personally tried this though), or sear 'em in an oven at 425 for 30 minutes or so, longer if stuffed, to seal in the juice (the way gran'ma taught me). You can optionally stuff the cavity as well.

The last one results in a very moist and tasty (although quite messy) meal. Smoking still leaves the bones to deal with, but the flavour is over the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users