Is littering (as in leaving your blue worm tubs) illegal everywhere in NB? - Illegal Activities - New Brunswick Fishing

Photo

Is littering (as in leaving your blue worm tubs) illegal everywhere in NB?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

Just curious as I spotted two of those ugly blue tubs floating in a lake I was kayaking this weekend, next to an ATV trail, and it'd be nice as a data point for justifiably yelling at the jerks who do it if I ever see them.

Someone should invent a biodegradable version out of that plastic that breaks down when exposed to sunlight or stuff. Not to encourage further littering, but just to get rid of the ugly little things over time. They sure do stand out.

#2 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

Disgusting, isn't it?  It gives the false impression that bait fishermen are pigs, because the worm bins are so obvious and persistent. Oddly enough, I'm sure if you stopped and questioned the offenders, they'd all profess a deep and lifelong love of the wilderness.  Its most disconcerting when you see people in the company of children either dropping or flinging their garbage into the woods or waters.

When you consider that the 'environmental movement' was started by hunters and fishermen, its always offputting when we find that our brethren (and cistern) can be such pigs.

brent

#3 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

There is biodegrable plastic readily available but no one wants to pay the extra money.

When my dad died long ago I tried for more than a year to get permission to scatter his ashes in Shediac Bay. It was not posible. "It is illegal to put anything in the water, anything at all," I was told. 

Oh, the irony......  My dad spent his life picking up pther people's crap out of Shediac Bay. Go figure.

#4 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

It would likely be a pain for the stores selling them, but having them in a large 'bin' and having to bring your own container would likely help.

People that give a crap would likely bring a fancy re-useable worm habitat and the people that would throw away the blue tubs would show up with a Tim Hortons cup.  At least it'll biodegrade.

I go out on the ATV and come home with beer cans rattling around in the storage compartment (and I don't drink....well, on the ATV anyway). I go fishing (like yesterday) and bring home everybody's tangled balls of mono, and the packaging from all the new hooks and spinners they just bought that morning.   

I think some people feel entitled to throw their **** on the ground, and the rest of us feel obligated to pick it up. It's gotten a little better, but some people will never change.  

#5 megz34

megz34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

I'd say in most areas there are bylaws with fines for littering. The problem isn't just with bait containers though, although they are easily visible. I'm sure I picked up a dozen of them last year, but probably 30 or 40 Tim Hortons cups and just as many beer cans. Plus about 6 miles of balled up mono line - which I think mail to Berkley in the states for recycling.

Given that I watch people driving to their home throw Tims cups and fast food bags out of their car a block away from their home, it's not surprising. That extra load of spending 4 minutes to clean out their car after the trip must be too much for them. :-/

#6 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

Given the fact that there is a $500 fine for littering along our highways and byways, I would assume it is illegal do so on the water as well.

#7 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

It is illegal, by the bylaws, but there isn't anyone to enforce it. I usually end up picking up worm containers all the time. It really irks me. 

#8 CountryMike

CountryMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCambridge-Narrows

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

Whenever I fish a new brook or river, if I get to where there's no garbage, I figure I'm far enough that fishing pressure is low and i'll have better luck. Kind of sad isn't it? My friend and I took a whole black garbage bag out she we were fishing last year and only a sobeys bag full was ours. Its really disgusting when you try to enjoy nature and have some lazy guys crap lying everywhere.

My fishing gear is worth more than my car.....sad ..........or awesome?

#9 Admeister

Admeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NB

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

I treat fishing like I do hiking or anything else outdoors, if I bring it in I bring it out. I have a backpack at all times and a jacket of many pockets that lugs my Tupperware worm house, my tangled balls of mono (I'm a noob, stop snickering! ;) ) and anything else I've got. I wish everyone treated our outdoors like a national park.

#10 Guest_GCFishguy_*

Guest_GCFishguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Well, after spending a couple weeks fishing the Kennebecasis C&R, I think it should be mandatory to leave your blue worm containers behind.  They're really handy for those balls of mono that I pulled out of trees and picked up in tumble-weed sized piles everywhere the river came within 6' of a road.

One day last week I was trying to fish down through a stretch and people started arriving....well, the worms and spinners were flying in all directions.  I sat in the bushes and had a cigar, hoping they'd figure out that if trout were jumping right out of the water at flies, they were going to be hard pressed to get them to take a worm...  I finally gave up and made my way back to the car.

3 guys from a pickup truck, and a family of 4 from the mini-van.  

I tried to be nice and warn tham that they couldn't fish with worms in this section, nor could they keep fish.  

The guy under the bridge with the worm sitting on the bottom and the fishing basket beside him says "Oh, I don't keep any anyways."

Other 2 guys from the truck...one tells me "Oh, that's not up this far."....the other says I should mind my own business.

Dad from the family of 4 feels those laws are bulls*** and he should be able to take his kids fishing wherever he wants.

At least they'll all leave their worm containers behind so they can be used to collect the mono and packaging from the jigs and spinners the next time that I or someone else that gives a sh** comes along behind and cleans up after them.

#11 Micropterus

Micropterus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

You can tell a lot about the kind of people there are in the world just from those you see out on the water. Unfortunately, the bums who litter, disregard regulations and have no clue what conservation is far out number those of who are civilized human beings. The worm tubs and beer cans show that Neanderthals still walk among us...either that or all the mercury from the multitudes of trout they and their forefathers poached over the years have degraded their genes and deteriorated their brain cells! 

#12 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Locationformerly Kingston Penninsula,now Sussex(miss the Creek)

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

you can always tell if you are on heavily fished waters just by the number of these friggin containers,(hope the worm guy is reading this),It should be mandatory to have these things bio-degradable as well as the coffee cups etc.If I had my way,you would have to bring your own mug to the coffee joints for a fill up,no disposables period!

#13 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

I wrote an article once regarding finding fishing spots. One of the tips was to follow the Tim Horton's cups until you find blue worm tubs, then start fishing there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users